Sunday, January 30, 2022

Flat Abigail

 Today we started early and visited Historic Downtown Franklin. The city of Franklin was founded October 26, 1799 and was named after Benjamin Franklin. There were so many sites to see and lots of history.


Lotz House - In 1855 a German immigrant Johann Albert Lotz purchased 5 acres in Franklin and over the next three years built this beautiful house. He was a master carpenter and also built pianos. Can you imagine building this house and pianos with no tools that plugged in or had batteries? During the Civil War he didn't think it was safe for his family so he moved them to another location. It turned out that his house was used as a hospital for all the wounded soldiers. When the war was over he had many repairs to be done but moved his family back home. Today the Lotz House is a museum and visited every year by many people.


Saint Philip Catholic Church - This church was the first catholic church in Williamson County, Tennessee and founded by just 26 families in November 6, 1871. Today the church is very active and has many, many families that attend worship.


Williamson County Courthouse - This courthouse was built in 1858 and is located on the square. In 1871 it was damaged by a tornado but was restored and still used today.


Confederate Monument - This statue is of a Confederate Soldier that represents the Battle of Franklin during the Civil War. He is located in the middle of the square across from the courthouse. When they were installing the statue a worker broke off a piece of his hat.  Now he is known to the locals as Chip.


Historic Downtown Franklin - Downtown Franklin has 15 blocks of brick sidewalks and stunning renovated historic buildings. It offers shopping, restaurants, antique shops, clothing stores, art galleries, and much more. Millions of visitors come each year just to visit the downtown area. This time of year all of the stores have beautiful Christmas decorations.


Franklin Theatre - This theatre was built in 1937 and not anything like the new theatres we have today. It has been totally restored and used for many things. There are plays performed here, movies and also live music.


Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church - This church was organized in Franklin in the year of 1811. However this building was not constructed until 1842. During the Civil War the church was used as a stable for horses and supplies. It remains open today for worship service.


After our busy morning we headed to Cracker Barrel for a mug of hot chocolate. It warmed my tummy.


I have enjoyed my visit to Franklin and learned so much about it's role in the Civil War. I know that later we will study about President Abraham Lincoln our 16th President who was in office during the war.


My bags are packed and I have 311 miles to travel home to Batavia, Ohio. It's important for me to get home before Christmas. I want to be in my own bed on Christmas Eve. I think I have been a pretty good girl this year. I have done my homework, cleaned my room, and listened to my parents. I hope Santa will leave me something under the tree.


To all my Classmates in Class 3B, my family, and friends -


MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR